Whole-Grain Mushroom and Kimchi Brown Rice
HOW TO PREPARE
Mix the kimchi, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar in a small bowl or measuring cup until the sugar is dissolved; set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release water, about 2 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low and continue to stir until the mushrooms are lightly browned and soft, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits in the skillet, and simmer until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Stir in the rice, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the kimchi mixture and cook until everything is heated through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the scallions. Serve hot.
- 1/2 cup kimchi (not strained), chopped
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, chilled, or 3 cups frozen brown rice
- 4 scallions, chopped