Sweet Potato Curry with Brown Rice
HOW TO PREPARE
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil in, followed by the red onion. Sauté for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are translucent and fragrant. Sir in the minced garlic and ginger, cooking for one more minute.
Measure in the curry powder, stirring to coat the onions and lightly toast. Add in the tomatoes, followed by the coconut milk and lime juice, and a hefty pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and add in sweet potatoes. Cover and let cook for 25 to 30 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
While the curry cooks, in a small skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add in the cashews and toast, shaking the pan constantly, until browning. Remove from heat and cool.
Serve curry with brown rice, toasted cashews, scallions, cilantro, and lime juice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1, 14oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1, 14oz can whole milk coconut milk (see note)
- Juice and zest from 1/2 lime
- Salt, as needed (see note)
- 4 cups 1/4″ cubed sweet potatoes
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Scallions, diced
- Cilantro, minced
- Lime wedges