One Pot Rice and Curried Butternut Squash
HOW TO PREPARE
In a 3 qt (or 5 qt) dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until onion is translucent and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Next, add in the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil followed by the brown rice. Stir until the rice is well coated with oil.
Stir in the squash, chickpeas, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Then add in the tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to the lowest simmer, cover, and let cook for 45 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Sprinkle with scallions and cilantro before serving.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 medium red onion (minced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups 1/4-inch cubed butternut squash (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (drained/rinsed if using canned)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- Scallions (for serving)
- Cilantro (for serving)