Nutty Brown Rice Salad
HOW TO PREPARE
Combine the rice and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Place cooled rice in a large bowl. Stir in the kidney beans, red onions, mushrooms, broccoli, bell peppers, and almonds; season with pepper. Toss salad with the Italian dressing and olive oil.
Chill for at least one hour before serving.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup bite-size broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped raw almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fat free Italian-style dressing
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil