Goddess Brown Rice Bowl
HOW TO PREPARE
For the green goddess dressing: Combine the anchovies, garlic, yogurt, mayonnaise, parsley, basil, chives, tarragon and lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth and green. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the rice bowl: Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the brown rice and cook until the rice is tender but still toothsome, about 45 minutes. Drain well.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, shiitakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown in spots and the fennel is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the skillet, followed by the sugar snap peas, zucchini and another 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Divide the rice among 4 bowls. Top with the vegetable mixture and then with the avocado slices. Drizzle with green goddess dressing and sprinkle with the pepitas.
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rice Bowl:
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, stringed and halved
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup roasted pepitas (hulled green pumpkin seeds) or chopped roasted cashews