Cajun Rice Salad with Shrimp and Okra
HOW TO PREPARE
For the Cajun seasoning: Combine the garlic powder, oregano, paprika, allspice, if using, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
For the salad: Combine 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning with the rice and cook according to the rice package directions. Set aside in a bowl.
Meanwhile, in a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the shrimp, lemon juice, oil and 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning; cover the bowl with plastic wrap, leaving a 1-inch opening for a vent. Microwave at 80-percent power, stirring once per minute, until the shrimp are opaque, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and the cooking liquid to the rice. (Save the remainder of the Cajun seasoning for another use.)
In a small saucepan, bring the okra and 1/2 cup water to a boil; cook until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add to the shrimp and rice.
Stir the bell pepper and parsley into the rice salad and serve at room temperature.
- Cajun Seasoning:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (crushed between fingers)
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound raw peeled, tail-off shrimp (31 to 40 shrimp per pound), thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups (7 ounces) fresh or frozen okra, sliced 3/4-inch thick (if frozen, do not thaw)
- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley