Brown Rice and Black Bean Salad
HOW TO PREPARE
Bring the brown rice, water, olive oil, and 1//2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes. Scrape into a mixing bowl, fluff with a fork, and refrigerate to room temperature.
Stir the collard greens, black beans, green peas, corn, green chiles, olives, and tomatoes into the cooled rice until evenly mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can collard greens, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can green peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste