Bison and Brown Rice Stuffed Peppers
HOW TO PREPARE
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bring water and rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir bison in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease.
Arrange bell peppers, cut-side up, in a baking dish. Slice bottoms of peppers if needed so they stand upright.
Mix rice, bison, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, all-purpose seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Spoon rice-bison mixture into each bell pepper.
Mix diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning together in a bowl; pour over stuffed peppers.
Bake in the preheated oven, basting with diced tomatoes mixture every 15 minutes, until peppers are tender, about 1 hour.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 pound ground bison
- 6 green bell peppers – tops, seeds, and membranes removed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning